Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bennie & Jerrie

Today I saw something I thought I’d never see. Bennie, the white and black kitten, was not only being combed by our volunteer Annie, but she was loving every minute of it and asking for more. Then her sister Jerrie, the black and white kitten, actually sat still and let her self be combed as well.

Bennie and Jerrie did not have an easy start. They came to us as small kittens and spent longer than usual in foster care as they passed conjunctivitis back and forth. When they finally came to the shelter in the Cambridge PetSmart, they were terrified. When we cleaned their cage, they would scatter to find the best hiding place they could. The foster home where they had lived for weeks said they never warmed up. They are gorgeous cats, but they need to be adopted together. It’s hard enough to find a home that will take two kitties at a time, but adopting ones this shy would be a big challenge.

In the weeks that followed Bennie and Jerrie have actually blossomed at the shelter. I’ve never seen anything like it. All the time they’ve spent in forced proximity to their caregivers has made them less afraid. Bennie now regularly asks for affection and once when I sat down she came and climbed in my lap. Jerrie still hides but she’ll come out to play. (See the video below for evidence of them playing.)

Last week I thought we’d finally found a great home for them with a patient, loving couple. But, their landlord objected. So, the sisters are still looking for their forever home and I’m more hopeful than ever that they will find it soon.

Karen
Feline Adoption & Rescue Society Shelter Manager

1 comment:

Jesse Kirdahy-Scalia said...

Bennie and Jerrie are so adorable together. I wish I had more time to hang out with them when I volunteer on Saturdays.