Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Spoiled Kitties


Gizmo & Cream Puff were adopted by one of our volunteers. She's re-named them and shared this story about their new home life:

"Watching Leo and Lucy teaches us about love and the quiet tenderness that should always accompany it. They lick, clean and caress each other with such attentiveness that it gives us pause about ourselves. They bring the same attentiveness to us as well--the sudden visit, the purr, the stretch of a paw, the rolling over and the slight trembling of expectation when your hand gets near, the jumping on your lap when you are otherwise occupied, the welcoming at the door, or the sitting on my purse when they see I am leaving, all these signs that we are at the center of their attention are constant.

They are wild game players as well. Leo comes in the morning and stands on my chest, face to face with me, staring me down as if saying, "well are you up yet, are you ready to play?" If I open one eye, I am done--he settles down with a fat purr to start with, half an inch away from my face, eyes into mine, his whiskers tickling my cheeks. If I close them again, he'll eventually leave but he comes back repeatedly, walking up my body like highway 101 until I am so disturbed I give up and get up. Lucy sits at the foot of the bed, waiting for the stunt to have its effect. If I get up, she squeaks with pleasure and runs to the living room where the furry mice wait--that's the favorite game--I toss one mouse across the entire length of the apartment and they charge after it with amazing speed--I go pick it up and toss it the other way--I always tire before they do. They also like to jump up in the air to catch it. Leo is amazing in the accuracy and height of his leap. He thinks he is a dog. He comes when you whistle. He seems constant and loyal as a dog; Lucy is delicate, subtle, a gentle spirit. They adorn and enrich our lives in a very distinctive way."

1 comment:

DeVona said...

It's wonderful that these two beautiful kitties have a home with you! I hope that the three of you have many happy years together.